Hive Carbon: Pillbug Expansion
The Pillbug Expansion
Hive: The Pillbug is a new pair of tiles that can be added to Hive. The pillbug moves like the queen bee – one space at a time – but it also has a special ability that it may use instead of moving. This ability allows the pillbug to move an adjacent unstacked piece (whether friendly or enemy) two spaces: up onto the pillbug itself, then down into an empty space adjacent to itself. Some exceptions for this ability:
- The Pillbug may not move the piece most recently moved by the opponent.
- The Pillbug may not move any piece in a stack of pieces.
- The Pillbug may not move a piece if it splits the hive (violating the One Hive Rule).
- The Pillbug may not move a piece through a too-narrow gap of stacked pieces (violating the Freedom to Move Rule).
Any piece which physically moved (directly or by the pillbug) is rendered immobile on the next player's turn; it cannot move or be moved, nor use its special ability. The mosquito can mimic either the movement or special ability of the pillbug, even when the pillbug it is touching has been rendered immobile by another pillbug.
Hive is a board game with a difference. There is no board! The pieces are added to the playing area thus creating the board. As more and more pieces are added the game becomes a fight to see who can be the first to capture the opposing Queen Bee.
The soldier ants battle to keep control of the outside of the hive, whilst the Beetles climb up to dominate the top. Spiders moving into holding positions as the Grass Hoppers jump in for the kill. Keeping one eye on the hive and the other on your opponents reserves, the tension builds as one wrong move will see your Queen Bee quickly engulfed; .... game over!
- 2 Pillbug Tiles (1 for each player)